Catholic Charities Brooklyn & Queens Recertification Specialist I in Astoria (Queens), New York
STATEMENT OF THE JOB
The Recertification Specialist I works as an integral member of on-site support team to ensure safe affordable housing is provided and maintained for tenants who live in properties managed by POP Management, the housing office of Catholic Charities, Brooklyn & Queens. The Recertification Specialist I is responsible for the management of all aspects of rent collection and occupancy and, under the supervision of the Regional Property Manager, provide task supervision to maintenance and on-site security. The Recertification Specialist I is responsible for up to 175 units of affordable housing. Where position has less than 120 units, assistance with coverage to other properties, including special compliance projects will be assigned.
The Recertification Specialist I plays a significant role in ensuring compliance with all agency, funding source and regulatory agreements, aiding tenants with maintaining affordable housing through the certification and recertification of tenants on an annual basis as well as well as comply with and assist with resolution of concerns received from the syndicator. The Recertification Specialist I ensures that tenants with rent arrears or other lease violations are brought to the attention of the compliance staff and litigation commences per Agency procedures. As a member of the on-site team, the Recertification Specialist I works closely with social service staff for community building and overall human service delivery.
The Recertification Specialist I ensures that the Agency Mission and Best Practices are upheld and modeled for other staff, while promoted to tenants and the broader community in which our buildings work. The Recertification Specialist I reports directly to the Regional Property Manager for day to day operations and to the Associate Director for Compliance related to all file and compliance tasks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Develop schedule for timely implementation of all aspects of the occupancy cycle, inclusive of unit inspections, apartment availability, interviewing applicants, required verifications/documentation and tenant selection.
* Collect/post rents, ensures that all necessary reporting is submitted in a timely manner per Agency procedures.
* Enforce occupancy policy and Procedures in accordance with regulatory agreements. Implement initial, annual and interim lease process for all units; coordinate with Agency compliance team to ensure all subsidy information for tenants is appropriately communicated for tenant and Agency.
* Initiate communication to compliance team for tenants out of compliance with rent or house rules. File all paperwork in order to support tracking of all tenant housing court actions.
* Maintain an accurate and orderly record keeping system of office records and tenant files in accordance with Agency and regulatory agreements, maintaining confidentiality as required.
* Ensure all program equipment including photocopier, fax machine, computers, & printers are working order.
* Under the supervision of the Regional Property Manager, monitor, order, & purchase supplies as necessary.
* Render prompt and careful attention to all bills received for payment. Follow Agency Purchase Order procedure.
* Maintain data bases as required by Agency and program
* Type meeting agendas, reports and correspondence as requested by supervisory staff.
* Where mandated, pass approved certification exams.
* Provide task supervision as requested by Regional Property Manager to maintenance and on-site security.
* Develop and maintain positive relationships with tenants.
* Complete and or assist with the completion of housing program requirements such as Annual Owner’s Certification as well as monitoring agency file reviews and site inspections.
* Attend trainings, learn and execute requirements per Fair Housing regulations, Section 504 Act, Low Income Tax Credit, Mixed Finance and or Certified Occupancy Specialist programs, HDC, HPD, HCR, HUD and Section 42.
* Actively participate in all necessary training to ensure that site (s) maintain compliance in Low Income Housing Tax Credit, Bond and Project Based Section 8 programs as well as HPD, HDC and other government agency programs that have oversite to buildings.
* Participate in Agency and program meetings/trainings as required.
* Collaborate with appropriate fiscal staff for processing invoices and complying with fiscal audits
* As necessary responds to assist other agency facility staff on occupancy and regulatory issues.
* Assist Regional Property Manager and agency staff in developing response to request from monitoring agencies.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EDUCATION/CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSES
* Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human services or related field preferred; Associates Degree in Business, Human services or related field 2 years related experience; or High School Diploma/GED with 5 years related experience
* Low Income Housing Tax Credit certification, Certified Occupancy Specialist or similar certificate preferred
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
* Experience with Realpage; OneSite; or other housing related software.
* Minimum 3 years housing related or similar business experience.
* Excellent time management and organizational skills.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Computer literate with proficiency in word processing/data entry skills.
* Strong bookkeeping skills.
* Excellent interpersonal and team work skills.
* Ability to appropriately assess/de-escalate/intervene in crisis
* Demonstrated ability to interact with multicultural staff and tenants
* Must be able to take initiative, work independently, and work as well as part of a team.
* Bilingual (Russian, Spanish, Korean, Chinese) preferred.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
* Ability to work a flexible schedule providing evening, weekend, and holiday coverage as needed.
* Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, & climbing stairs.
* Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, & office equipment.
* Ability to read printed & handwritten materials.
* Ability to travel to multiple locations within Queens and Brooklyn as needed.