Albert Einstein College of Medicine Temporary Jr. Animal Caretaker in Bronx, New York
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Job ID 2019-12129
Campus Einstein/Resnick - Bronx
Posting Date 2019-08-12
Employee Classification 1199 Union
Department Animal Institute
Position Type Temporary Full-Time
Founded in 1955, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein) is one of the nation's premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time faculty of some 2,000 conducts research, teaches, and delivers health care in every major biomedical specialty. The college has some 730 medical students, 193 Ph.D. students, 106 MD/Ph.D. students and 275 postdoctoral fellows.
Einstein's major strength, in addition to training physicians and scientists, is its science. During fiscal year 2015, the faculty's consistently high level of scientific achievement resulted in the awarding of more than $150 million in peer-reviewed grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Einstein is part of Montefiore Medicine Academic Health System, an integrated academic delivery system comprising seven campuses, including 8 hospitals, a multi-county ambulatory network, a new state-of-the art "hospital without beds", a skilled nursing facility, school of nursing, home health agency, and the state's first freestanding emergency department. As the University Hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore is a premier academic health system, employing Einstein's clinical faculty and training Einstein's medical students, over 1,300 residents, 420 allied health students, and 1,600 nursing students annually.
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Einstein seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
The Temporary Junior Animal Caretaker I will provide for care of laboratory animals. The Caretaker will perform routine assignments requiring technical applications, or under direct supervision as a trainee will perform multiple assignments. Observe, report and monitor the health and comfort of a variety of species being used for biomedical research. Perform animal husbandry and sanitation as prescribed by federal laws and regulations, state law and IAS policy.
Duties will include:
- * Provide for care of laboratory animals in a humane, safe and sanitary manner using appropriate equipment and established procedures
- * Maintain a daily room activity log of each assigned room
- * Feed and water the animals daily and administer special diets and water according to specified protocols and directions
- * Change animal caging as scheduled or needed and clean animal rooms daily as assigned. Breakdown and sanitize animal quarters, service rooms, equipment and hallways as scheduled and assigned.
- * Observe animals for clinical signs of disease and behavioral changes and report observations using appropriate IAS forms
- * Observe and maintain proper cage densities in their assigned animal rooms
- * Report and correct any violation of cage density, guideline using established IAS cage density policies
- * Receive, transport and distribute incoming animals as specified by established animal receiving procedures
- * Operate and maintain the cage-washer, bottle washer, tunnel-washer, autoclave, biological safety cabinet and other support equipment. Observe and report any aberrations in animal room environments
- * Attend in house training programs to become more knowledgeable of and develop expertise in lab animal science
- * Notify Facility Supervisor or Lead of minor repairs; record and follow-up
- * Perform other related duties as assigned
- * High school diploma/GED required; previous related experience preferred
- * The ideal candidate will possess good written and verbal communication skills
- * Due to the nature of the work, individual must be able to pay close attention to detail and must be physically fit to do heavy repetitive lifting and pushing of equipment daily
- * Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- * Must not be allergic to animals, latex, waste products, bedding or solutions
- * Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays as needed