University at Buffalo UNIX Systems Administrator in Buffalo, New York
Position Title: UNIX Systems Administrator
Posting Number: P1800235
Salary Range: $55,000 - $65,000
The Senior Programmer Analyst provides technical support for CIT and the university using computing and information technology to fulfill the University’s research, instruction, and public service missions.
• Provide advanced systems support: Support and troubleshoot mission-critical, enterprise systems and services on a 24/7 basis.
• Design and implement complex systems and infrastructure: Develop mission-critical, Linux/Unix enterprise systems.
• Ensure system security: Protect against security risks, apply security fixes, and monitor system activity. Ensure system compliance with UB security and privacy policies and other regulations such as NIST 800-171, HIPAA, FERPA, etc.
• Solve complex systems and service problems: Develop unique approaches to complicated problems where diagnostic data is incomplete, absent, or contradictory, and where there may be no precedent or solution.
• Communicate with management, staff, and customers: Communicate work status, alerts, and service notifications tailored to the needs of specific audiences.
• Provide customer support: Fulfill or deny service requests according to departmental policies and negotiate service provisioning with customers, stakeholders and management.
• Fulfill supervisory responsibilities (if assigned): Conduct staff recruitments, write performance programs and appraisals, participate in resource planning and allocations, periodically provide operational oversight of production services and teams.
• Manage technical projects: Manage projects and provide expert consulting on technical initiatives, facilitate technical discussions among campus IT groups, and proactively assist in budget and service planning.
• Maintain and improve technical knowledge: Continually improve personal knowledge and skills relevant to current duties, through on the job experience, self-directed research or formal training.
• Work as part of a team: Participate in service teams providing 24/7 support; influence work priorities, technical decisions, and operating procedures at the team or project level.
All the duties listed below occur in a 24/7 environment, therefore, as part of your professional obligation, working extended hours, holidays and varied hours may be required.
The mission of UB Information Technology’s is “to advance UB’s mission of excellence in research, teaching, and service through the innovative and effective use of Information Technology.” UBIT includes nearly 400 talented and collaborative professionals. UBIT supports the university’s goals for impactful research, educational experiences, engagement and economic development, and a 21st-century campus environment. To that end, UBIT partners with the campus community and leads the evaluation, implementation, and operation of all IT services.
It is a great time to join UBIT. Over the last four years, VPCIO and UBIT have focused on modernizing the core IT infrastructure. These strategic enhancements have resulted in a world-class technology environment. In addition, UBIT staff are highly skilled and motivated to succeed and have cutting-edge training and technical resources at their disposal.
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and three (3) years of experience or Master’s degree in a relevant field and one (1) year of experience.
• Experience in a computer/technical field • Basic administration, networking or software development concepts, and practice in a computing field • Understand applied advanced system management concepts such as redundancy, security, high availability, and system integration • Excellent communication skills and good customer relations skills • Ability to work and communicate effectively with people having diverse skill levels and varying backgrounds • Personal initiative and self-discipline
Experience with leading or participating in large projects or teams Experience in a university environment Experience with advanced, large scale systems
Deadline for Applicants: 11/08/2018
Quicklink for Posting: 16779