Shepherd Search Group Bilingual Youth Care Worker in Canaan, New York
We are working with a child welfare organization with over 100 programs and services throughout New York State, meeting families where they need it most; in their homes and communities. Led by a passionate and ambitious CEO, dedicated to child welfare in New York State and where 97% of the employees believe they are doing what matters. Come join a growing a progressive team with opportunities for career advancement.
The Youth Care Worker provides direct supervision of adolescent children in residential care. The program provides family reunification and short-term shelter for youth who are temporarily without a guardian. As part of a terrific bilingual (Spanish/English) speaking team, you will assist in providing a safe and nurturing environment.
This is a very active, very fun job for someone with experience working or volunteering with children in a daycare/youth care program; some sort of child welfare/social services/residential setting; or other comparable environments.
This full-time role offers a wonderful opportunity for someone who desires to get into the child welfare, social services, nonprofit field. Recent and upcoming college graduates, especially those with degrees in human services, psychology, social work, or other related fields of study, are strongly encouraged to apply. The agency offers lots of possibilities for career growth and advancement.
1. Responsible for direct supervision and engagement of youth including direct supervision, ensuring safety, monitoring and overseeing behaviors, and ensuring youth stay on task.
2. Provide fair, consistent and positive reinforcement for acceptable behaviors, utilizing approved supervision and behavior management strategies as appropriate including approved methods of physical intervention.
3. Maintain a consistent supportive and therapeutic environment conducive to facilitating treatment goals. Participate in treatment team process per protocol and contribute to formulation of short and long-range recreation goals for youth.
4. Implement daily schedule for assigned residents including program routines, group, instructing and supervising youth in personal and life skills, as well as helping with homework and assisting with specified tasks.
5. Participates in planning meals and ensuring youth involvement during meal time.
6. Properly employs protocols and procedures including reviewing logs and communications daily, providing accurate and timely documentation and ensuring ratios are met as required by agency and regulatory bodies. Remains on duty until properly relieved.
7. Responsible for all transportation as assigned including transporting youth to and from school, dining hall, and off ground trips. Responsible to search youth returning from off ground trips when necessary.
* High school diploma or equivalent degree
* Employment experience in the child welfare field working with children and/or adolescents in a social service setting, preferred.
*Bilingual - ability to converse in English and Spanish
* Must be able to work a flexible schedule, outside of normal business hours including nights, weekends and on-call, as needed.
* Must have a current, valid driver’s license per Agency guidelines.
* Ability to work with an economically and culturally diverse population