New York City Department of Education Routing Manager, OPT Illumination in Long Island City, New York
(Those who previously applied need not re-apply)
Position is only open to candidates with permanent NYC Civil Service status in the Administrative Quality Assurance Specialist title or candidates who have taken the most recent Administrative Quality Assurance Specialist Civil Service Examination.
Position Summary: The Office of Pupil Transportation is dedicated to ensuring that all eligible New York City students receive safe, clean, and timely transportation to and from school. We are dedicated to providing the students of New York City with safe, clean, dependable, efficient, cost-effective and prompt transportation. We are responsible for supporting the educational process through the provision of transportation services that are essential for the education of the children.
OPT seeks to improve the safety, reliability, and timeliness of student bus transportation. In order to do this, OPT is focusing on four areas of operational investment to improve bus service: enhancements to school bus routing; installation and use of Global Positioning Systems/Automatic Vehicle Location (GPS/AVL) technology; development of business intelligence (BI) capabilities for performance analysis and business process improvement; customer service and communication strategies which ensure that our technological improvements result in service improvements for students, parents, schools, bus contractors, and DOE operating units. The technology upgrades must be accompanied by investment in personnel who possess the skill-sets necessary to integrate new systems with existing ones and to translate change into improvement.
The Routing Manager, OPT Illumination will be responsible for complete management of the operational aspects of the existing, new, and transitional routing systems, along with its processes and procedures; and will be responsible for developing best practices and standard operating procedures as well as project team oversight. The Routing Manager will be responsible for data review, data integrity checks, routing optimization, and developing requirements for all reporting needs. The Routing Manager will be the business point-of-contact for software vendors and will play a pivotal role in managing the delivery of routing technology solution(s) for the nation’s largest Pupil Transportation Department in North America: a 9,500+ vehicle fleet that services more than 180,000 children in the City of New York. Performs related work.
Reports to:Executive Director, OPT
Direct Reports: N/A
Key Relationships:Relationships will be fostered with all levels of IT professionals both within the business units and throughout the DOE, as well as with all levels of staff and management within the Office of Pupil Transportation and other Department of Education and state offices.
- Coordinates and manages the full implementation of any new routing software, including hardware needs.
- Coordinates and manages the development of ongoing training needs regarding routers.
- Develops strategic goals and objectives along with routing operations as they relate to the implementation of routing systems, applications, and policies.
- Prepares transportation reports and plans based on project analyses and assessments.
- Manages all aspects of support operations related to routing processes and serves as a liaison between routing operations and software support operations (internal and external software technical support teams).
- Develops, researches, and supports new and emerging updates to routing software as well as to business polices and applications.
- Identifies and analyzes problems, using sound reasoning to arrive at conclusions.
- With the Project, Infrastructure, and Operations teams, develops, manages, and implements process, policy, and systems improvements, including application development.
- Facilitates and monitors pilot programs to support routing test cases.
- Coordinates and attend project meetings with clients, planners, and transportation system users.
- Supports the project team in the delivery of technical and analytical services by providing necessary intra- team collaboration support for all project activities, including research, project planning, analysis, design, etc.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of satisfactory full-time experience in purchasing and or inspecting supplies, materials, products and services such as: paints, linoleum, hose, sand, brick, wire, shades hardware and tools, plumbing, electrical machine shop, building and cleaning supplies; furnishings and furniture, lumber and wood related products, metals, equipment, foods, drugs and chemicals, fuel, textiles, printing, stationery, automotive equipment and/or repairs, transportation services and other comparable items and/or services; at least eighteen months of which must have been in a supervisory, administrative or managerial capacity; or
- An associate degree from an accredited college, plus six years of satisfactory full-time experience as described in “1” above, at least eighteen months of which must have been in a supervisory, administrative or managerial capacity; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and eight years of satisfactory full-time experience as described in “1” above, at least eighteen months of which must have been in a supervisory, administrative or managerial capacity; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience equivalent to “1”, “2” or “3” above. Undergraduate college credit may be substituted for experience on the basis of 45 semester credits from an accredited college for one year of experience. However, all candidates must have a high school diploma or its educational equivalent and at least three years of satisfactory full-time experience as described in “1” above, at least eighteen months of which must have been in a supervisory, administrative or managerial capacity.
- Five or more years of broad business or government experience in a Routing or Technology role.
- Experience work in operations research, logistics, transportation, and/or education industry.
- Familiarity with the nature and needs of school transportation challenges.
- Participation in a diversified range of industries, non-profit organizations, or life experiences.
- An interest in emerging technology, GPS, and the technologies involved with Autonomous Vehicles, with a desire to learn.
- Excellent technical writing skills with the ability to develop work plans and articulate technical processes for non-technical users.
- Ability to make critical analyses in determining courses of action.
- Internal candidates preferred.
(Internal candidates who are selected for this position and who currently hold comparable or less senior positions within the DOE will not make less than their current salary.)
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
* *Applications will be accepted through January 28, 2019 until 3:00 p.m.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability and/or grant funding.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 1102, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at http://schools.nyc.gov/OEO
Tracking Code: 13078
Job Location: Long Island City, New York, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
New Posting: No
Job Group: N/A