SMBC Temp- Client On-Boarding in New York, New York
SMBC is seeking a temporary employee. The client onboarding Analyst is to undertake due diligence on prospective clients / counterparties and handle client maintenance activities, as we support a growth strategy to select SMBC affiliates in the United States – specifically the Swap Dealer (SMBC Capital Markets, Inc.).
The Client Onboarding Analyst will primarily be engaged in research and analysis. They will use information supplied by external clients, information already within the organization, external vendors tools and their overall experience to effect due diligence controls on clients / counterparties of various characteristics – SPV’s, large corporates, FI’s, etc – all of which come with their own particular set of regulatory risk factors.
Engage internal and external clients to help facilitate the onboarding and maintenance processes.
· Coordinate client / counterparty onboardings across multiple functions / units - Front Office, Compliance, AML, Operations, Legal and Tax, amongst others - all in a high pressure / time-sensitive environment.
· Review bank agreements, legal documents, and other paperwork for completeness and accuracy.
· Leverage accumulated wisdom to make determinations re document applicability in the risk control process, where documents are atypical or uncommon.
· Assess / assign risk classifications to clients / counterparties expanding their business, as well as those incoming; where applicable, remediate KYC profiles due to changes in risk factors.
· Assist in delivering training related to the account opening process and key competencies required to facilitate.
· Undertake renewal due diligence on existing clients / counterparties to ensure identification of changes in risk profile, including reputation and operational risk factors.
· Participate in think-tank discussions concerning KYC / AML / Dodd-Frank / FATCA policy and desktop procedure updates.
· Assist in the maintenance of a Client Onboarding Desktop Procedures to ensure that the onboarding / client maintenance process is documented, transparent, consistent, sustainable and effective.
Participate in design and testing of enhancements to client due diligence databases, reports and systems.
Ensuring onboarding requests are completed within expected timeframes
Ensuring that assigned client maintenance activities are acted upon timely and within prescribed time frames
Supporting Client Onboarding Group learning & development efforts
Supporting management in its tactical / strategic initiatives re onboarding applications / other systems
Working closely with Compliance, Tax, Legal and others to render policy / procedure more transparent and commercial, all while preserving risk control strength
Strong understanding of US PATRIOT Act, BSA / AML requirements (e.g. CIP requirements; difference between CDD and EDD; etc).
Strong understanding of Dodd-Frank and FATCA.
High competency in using external due diligence tools such as Alacra, LexisNexis, etc.
Experience / appreciation for due diligence operations and onboarding applications / systems.
Strong interpersonal skills; ability to face-off to own management structure, Front Office, Compliance, Audit – effectively any potential touch-point relative to the onboarding / client maintenance workflow.
Strong communication skills – oral, written, in-person.
Track-record of composure in fast-paced, high pressure environment that is still finding its way towards “high performance”.
Healthy mix of compliance and pragmatism /commerciality in an environment where revenue growth is a mandate and risk control is paramount.
Career Category Operations
Position ID 2018 - 0736
SMBC is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability