Shepherd Search Group Prevention Family Specialist in Poughkeepsie, New York
We are working with a child welfare organization with over 100 programs and services throughout New York State, meeting families where they need it most; in their homes and communities. Led by a passionate and ambitious CEO, dedicated to child welfare in New York State and where 97% of the employees believe they are doing what matters. Come join a growing a progressive team with opportunities for career advancement.
The Family Specialist is responsible for coordinating therapeutic activities for families so youth can live safely, productively and independently within their home community.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintains positive and professional partnership with stakeholders including coordinating required services for families, maintaining timely and effective communication regarding case activities.
• Facilitate and complete all case documentation according to Agency, program policy, regulatory and contractual requirements.
• Assists with providing crisis intervention services for families experiencing acute distress and dysfunctional behaviors to address safety concerns. Provides supportive case work counseling to families including completion of all assessments, treatment and discharge plans.
• Assess and encourage safe environment including attending various internal and external meetings and case reviews.
• Prepares court reports and attends court proceedings as scheduled and required.
• Adheres to agency policies and procedures; follows and supports agency mission, vision and values including participating in internal surveys and data collection for continuous improvement initiatives.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Proficient interpersonal skills including ability to build collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Proficient ability to act as a role model, build engaging and therapeutic relationships and work effectively one on one with each member of family unit.
• Proficient ability to manage and encourage change including ability to help families progress towards goals.
• Proficient communication skills including written, oral and listening skills.
• Proficient organizational, time management and prioritization skills. Must be able to meet strict deadlines.
• Basic computer literacy skills including MS Office suite and other database programs.
• Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with extreme discretion, demonstrated knowledge of HIPAA.
• Ability to become First Aid/CPR/TCI certified.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field required.
• Minimum of 2 yrs. of experience working with high risk youth and families.
• Prior experience in a not-for-profit and/or human services agency preferred.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, outside of normal business hours including nights, weekends, holidays and on-call, as needed.
• Must have a current, valid driver’s license per Agency guidelines.
• Ability to work with an economically and culturally diverse population.