University of Rochester Ambulatory Technologist in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 090 Wilmot-Arnot Ogden Cancer Ctr
8 AM-4:30 PM
Performs clinical tasks in support of patients and providers in patient care activities. Performs a variety of technical, procedural, and information systems tasks, which facilitate the delivery of patient care in an efficient and cost effective manner. Uses customer service skills in greeting and escorting patients to various areas in the center. Primary responsibility is to facilitate the flow of patients throughout the center, ensuring that patients are ready to see providers on time as feasible. Assists with procedural activities as requested by team members, as well as management of equipment and patient room supplies. Conducts self in a manner that is open, approachable and conducive to teamwork within the center.
- Primary responsibility is to maximize room and infusion chair utilization. Remaining visible to all members of the team.
- Monitors waiting room to ensure all patients are arrived for medical oncology and infusion visits
- Obtain patient's VS, including: Height and weight when required (cosignature when required- all new med one patients), blood pressure, pulse, respiratory rate, temperature, pain score, after checking 2 identifiers. Input into electronic record system
- During flu season, obtaining patient's vaccination status
- Communicate any pain score of 4 or greater, or any VS that is critically high or low to RN, NP or physician
- Recheck BPs manually if systolic greater than 160 or less than 90, or diastolic greater than 90, less than 60, recording this result in electronic record
- Check oxygen saturations on any patient who is wearing oxygen or complains of shortness of breath
- Exam tables in clinic rooms, chairs, tables and infusion pumps in infusion room, and all equipment used when taking VS should be cleaned between each patient with hospital approved disinfectant
- Communicate to other nursing staff when assistance needed to room patients in clinic/ infusion to ensure they are on time
- Communicate patient arrivals to other team members
- Anticipates and ensures the correct supplies are available in each clinic room at all times
- Stock supply carts in the infusion room
- Secondary responsibilities include (after all primary responsibilities have been fulfilled):
- Place orders for patient food items
- Restock patient food items as needed
- Assist with passing lunch in infusion center when volunteer is not available
- Assist with removal of sharps containers/ medical waste bags from infusion center.
- Assist RNs with daily operational activities as time allows and are delegated.
- Assist RNs with VS, cleaning patient chairs in infusion
- Manage medical waste for pick up on Friday afternoons
High School diploma or equivalent plus three years of experience in a patient care setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Associates degree preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology, procedures and computer experience is preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Ambulatory Technologist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 212386
Full/Part Time: Full-Time