University of Rochester Lab Clinical Supt Tech III in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 092 Specimen Recvng-Clin Labs SMH
1:30 PM-10 PM; WKENDS/HOL
Under the supervision of the section Supervisor or Operations Coordinator, the Lab Clinical Support Tech III serves as a lead technician in performing, coordinating, and trouble- shooting more advanced duties in the laboratory. Exercises advanced knowledge, judgment and problem solving skills. Is able to perform essential functions of a Laboratory Clinical Support Tech II and meets the criteria for completing training in advanced assignments and/or successfully completes training for Lab Clinical Support III level assignments as designated by section. Serves as a primary resource to physicians, nurses, and other laboratory personnel regarding specimen handling and processing.
- Uses advanced knowledge of specimen requirements and stability. Follows appropriate transport/shipping protocols to prepare specimens for transport to the designated laboratory for testing.
- Interprets physician’s requests and uses the appropriate protocol for handling unique patient registrations and LIS log-ins. Uses advanced knowledge of the laboratory information system to perform functions such as; billing credits, test cancelations, result entries, report printing and printing of task and specimen tracking lists.
- Receives incoming telephone calls and triages calls to appropriate laboratory as necessary. Manages requests for faxed results and provides specimen requirements and stability information. Provides results to physician offices and health centers as necessary.
- Provides problem resolution for sample handling; missing information, split samples, sample retrievals, misdirected samples, and requests for additional samples. Independently follows up on all problems and discrepancies as needed with the Patient Accounts Office, Patient Registration, Medical Records and the laboratory Billing Office.
- Trains new and current staff on new procedures. Conducts remedial training as necessary.
- Participates in quality monitors and initiatives. Performs internal quality checks to facilitate smooth and accurate operations.
- Promotes a positive employee engagement environment. Proactively participates in regular feedback, communicating concerns, and supporting the implementation of improvement initiatives.
- Performs other responsibilities and projects as assigned.
Associate’s degree or some college level course work in science or a related discipline and one year of experience; or an equivalent combination of education, experience or certification. Customer service experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy/physiology a plus. Excellent computer and organizational skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Lab Clinical Supt Tech III
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 211924
Full/Part Time: Full-Time