University of Rochester Med Technologist-Spec in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 097 Microbiology SMH
Under the direction of the Supervisor, oversees routine aspects of the Virology Lab within the Clinical Microbiology Labs. Functions as a specialist and educator in the Virology Lab, assisting with development and monitoring of quality assurance and identifying opportunities for improvement. May assist in some supervisory duties, especially on weekends or in the absence of the supervisor. Performs all duties of a Medical Technologist II, including weekend and holiday rotations consistent with other technical staff work schedules.
- Beyond mastery of standard laboratory protocol and methods, demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of the theory and technical applications of clinical laboratory science and demonstrates thorough understanding of the clinical relevance of laboratory tests.
- May train new employees, instruct residents and fellows, and provide continuing education for fellow laboratory technologists and other health professionals. Beyond routine teaching duties, assists in meeting the laboratory's education responsibilities, including preparation of education materials and special laboratory exercises.
- May act as a technical consultant to medical personnel and other laboratory staff regarding laboratory procedures and interpretation of technical aspects of tests.
- Reviews and, using appropriate quality control protocols, makes decisions regarding laboratory results for accuracy, reliability, and clinical validity. Investigates problems and initiates solutions either independently or in consultation with supervisor, as situation warrants. Keeps supervisor apprised of problems and actions.
- Keeps abreast of field(s) of specialization by reading professional journals, attending lectures, conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Assists in reviewing and writing procedure manuals so that they are up-to-date and functional.
- Participates in developing and evaluating new methods and products. Initiates and maintains written and verbal communication with supervisors and directors regarding progress.
- Assists in the data collection, preparation and analysis of laboratory statistics.
- May oversee work performance of others in their area of expertise and provide supervision of routine laboratory operations in absence of supervisor, especially on weekends and reduced service shifts.
Requires NYS license or eligible for NYS License. Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or related discipline and 6 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree in Medical Technology or related discipline and 3years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Med Technologist-Spec
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 210212
Full/Part Time: Full-Time