Defense Finance and Accounting Service FINANCIAL SPECIALIST in Rome, New York
As the world's largest finance and accounting firm, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) pays all Department of Defense (DoD) military and civilian personnel, retirees and annuitants, and major DoD contractors and vendors. We take great pride in serving the men and women who serve America, and invite goal-oriented people like you to challenge yourself while providing a service to our nation.
Who may apply: United States Citizens
Learn more about this agency
- Performs analysis of finance and/or accounting organizations to evaluate the effectiveness of DFAS performance for all types of support service and programs to its customers and stakeholders.
- Performs research and analysis to identify and satisfy a wide variety of user requirements and operational process improvements.
- Analyzes and evaluates the financial and/or accounting processes which seem to generate customer complaints or areas of customer and stakeholder dissatisfaction.
- Conducts studies of finance/accounting operations to ensure adequacy of customer service processes, policies and procedures, conformance with policies/directives and achieve effectiveness and efficiency of finance/accounting operations.
- Exercises positive interpersonal relationships with program participants and stakeholders through the use of tact and diplomacy to resolve issues or conflicts between groups with different objectives and needs.
- Duties will be developmental in nature when the position is filled below the full performance level.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0501 Financial Administration And Program
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S Citizen
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for federal employment
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Vacancy Information: Position is located in DFAS - Information and Technology Directorate, Assessment Analysis and Assignment Rome, NY
- This announcement will be used to fill positions with an entry grade of GS-7, GS-9 and GS-11 with a target grae of GS-11
Human Resources will determine your qualifications for each entry grade level based on your interest and the additional following criteria. Resumes for federal government positions need more detailed work descriptions and accomplishments than a typical private sector resume. Please be sure to clearly describe the full scope of your work experiences in your resume. Combinations of education and experience may also be sufficient.
To be hired at the GS-7 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of a GS-05 within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. * Specialized experience is defined as:Applying financial laws, principles, systems, policies, methods, and practices to provide routine technical guidance to managers, employees and/or customers; analyzing and evaluating reports from financial systems; and gathering financial data from various sources related to a specific financial issue. * SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR GS-7 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year of graduate level education or Superior Academic Achievement (Grade point average of a 2.95 or higher on a 4.0 scale or class standing in the upper third of the graduating class or major subdivision) or membership in a national scholastic honor society may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. To be hired at the GS-9 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the federal serviceperforming financial systems analysis in support of finance mission and applying knowledge of financial management principles as they relate to automated financial systems processing and operations. * Specialized experience is defined as:Researching and interpreting financial regulations, policies and laws to provide substantive recommendations and advice to managers; analyzing and evaluating reports and data from financial systems to identify issues and discrepancies; and researching and interpreting financial policies and laws to resolve financial issues. * SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR GS-9 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Master's or equivalent graduate level degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. To be hired at the GS-11 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the federal service performing complex data analysis and evaluation of financial systems, policies, procedures, and regulations to ensure the continuity of a financial system's operations. * Specialized experience is defined as:Analyzing financial and accounting operations to recommend process improvements; monitoring and evaluating financial systems to identify weaknesses and ensure compliance with internal controls; and analyzing the impact of applicable laws and regulations on an organization's financial policies, operations and systems and recommending changes to maintain compliance. * SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR GS-11 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. **This position is developmental and selections may be made at the GS-07, GS-09 or GS-11 entry grade levels. Once eligibility and qualification requirements are met, selectees will be eligible for promotion at management discretion to the GS-09 and GS-11 grade levels without further competition.
Volunteer Experience:**Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Moving expenses WILL NOT be paid.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- This position is being filled under Direct-Hire Authority for Financial Management Experts. DFAS has delegated authority by the Office of the Secretary of Defense to directly appoint qualified candidates possessing a finance, accounting, management, or actuarial science degree, or a related degree from an accredited college or university in a field of study, or equivalent experience, related to the functions of the position to be filled. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location. We reserve the right to close this announcement early or to extend, as appropriate, based upon the needs of the Agency. Qualified application packages may be referred to management at various points in the selection process depending on the number and timing of applications received. Selections may be made at any point during the announcement open period.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- Travel requirement is SELDOM (LESS THAN 25%)
- This position IS covered by a bargaining unit.
- Veteran's preference does not apply under this Direct Hire Authority (DHA).
- This position is Non Exempt at the GS-5 and GS-07 and Exempt at the GS-09 and GS-11 from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Selections at the entry levels, GS-07 and GS-09, will be covered by a formal training development program with promotion opportunities under the DFAS Leaders In Motion (LIM) Program. The purpose of this program is to develop well-qualified, well-trained, high potential employees for future positions within DFAS. Promotion is conditional based on performance, successful completion of training, and availability of higher graded work. Participants who do not successfully complete the program may be separated. Individuals who previously successfully completed the program will not be placed in the formal developmental program and are ineligible for having pay set using maximum payable rate or pay retention.
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or be exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
All information included in the resume, required documents and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be referred to management for consideration.
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here:
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume: you are encouraged to choose only ONE method of submitting your resume. (HR will review the resume that the system date stamps as the latest one received and this may not be the resume which best reflects your qualifications for the job and may result in an ineligible rating.) You may submit your resume by: attaching in your USAJOBS account; uploading in your Application Manager account;* OR*faxing. For assistance in preparing your resume, take a look at the DFAS Resume Tools.
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other Supporting Documents The following supporting documents are ONLY required if applicable to your personal qualifications or status. They must be received by the closing date of the announcement.
- Transcripts and/or Certifications:For additional information on acceptable documents, click here Transcripts and Certifications. All applicants to include current agency employees/contractors must also document your education and/or certifications in your resume. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Veterans Preference: If you are claiming veteran's preference, you MUST submit the appropriate documentation.
- Cover Letter:You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or determine eligibility for preference. WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST) on or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
DFAS recognizes the value of competencies gained through formal education and professional certifications. To ensure that consistent credit is given for these credentials in the selection process DFAS has developed standard selection criteria to be used when filling positions in professional and administrative series. Selections for professional and administrative positions will be based on four categories of selection criteria: Experience, Other, Education, and Certifications.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload your resume (required), and any other application documents.
- Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
DFAS - INFO AND TECHNOLOGY DIR OFFICE 4800 Mark Center Drive Alexandria, VA 22350 US
Learn more about this agency
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job. Only candidates meeting minimum qualifications will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews.
You will be notified when selections are made. Individuals receiving a tentative job offer will be required to submit to a suitability/security background investigation.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513192500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/09/2018 to 10/22/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 11
Salary: $41,365 to $79,586 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time