Westchester Medical Center UA NA MAT TECH S3 in SUFFERN, New York
The UA NA Mat Tech (Maternity Technician) is responsible for providing direct patient care for obstetrical and newborn patients in addition to performing specific clerical duties under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Participates in care of obstetrical and newborns patients; may perform perineal care, assist patient with ambulation and other personal care as needed, assists in the secure transfer of patients form stretcher to bed to OR table or vice versa, distributes fresh water, stocks linen cart, assists with transferring newborns and/or mothers from L&D to the mother baby unit as needed.
- Sends specimens via pneumatic tube or hand carries specimens to lab or pathology.
- Sets up delivery rooms as directed by the L&D RN.
- Cleans instruments and places them properly in the case cart.
- Restocks delivery, labor suites, and operating rooms with designated equipment and supplies.
- Performs as scrub technician.
- Provides clerical assistance as needed.
- Maintains maternal & newborn safety & security: infant security system, newborn security & safety processes, Code Pink response, shared hourly rounding, etc.
- Adheres to maternal and newborn patient identification procedures.
- Maintains and develops competencies through annual renewal and ongoing educational programs/offerings.
- Provides care within scope of practice in units such as the NICU & mother baby unit as needed.
- Communicates identified deficiencies/problems in a timely manner to the appropriate RN.
- Promptly notifies licensed nursing personnel of situations which require immediate attention.
- Maintains knowledge of special diets and dietary restrictions as directed by the RN.
- Delivers accurate report to RN, peers, and other health team members.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Previous experience in scrubbing and assisting in operating room procedures preferred.
A high school diploma or equivalency required.
Graduate of a certificate surgical technician program required.
Licenses / Certifications:
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Ability to communicate with patients, visitors and staff both orally and in writing.
Successful completion of in-house Care Partner Orientation program, including classroom and clinical components, is required.