Northwell Health Nursing Administrative Supervisor - Per Diem Days Phelps Hospital in Tarrytown, New York
Req Number 003DA8
responsibility for the overall assessment,
planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care on the unit. Carries out the System, Hospital and Nursing
Service mission, vision, values and the overall strategic planning, clinical
management, patient care, budgeting, financial management and quality
management on the unit. Promotes the
health system service standards and creates a
patient focused caring environment while addressing and meeting the individual
needs of the patient. Fosters an
environment of collaboration and respect with physician colleagues, nurses and
other healthcare team members.
- Maintains current knowledge of and ensures compliance with
all regulatory and professional standards of
care which includes JCAHO, CMS, IHI, CAP, etc.
- Utilizes creativity in developing quality/performance
improvement programs, instructing staff and implementing new and improved
- Utilizes results from 'tracer' methodology tools to develop
corrective action plans to ensure that quality of care is embedded into
clinical practice on an ongoing basis.
- Develops, prepares and monitors the
personnel, supply and equipment budgets in collaboration with the staff and
support department directors.
- Develops long-term unit staffing schedules and ensures
adequate daily coverage in accordance with established staffing needs.
- Develops measures and monitors unit operational performance
metrics inclusive of LOS, agency and overtime costs, vacancy and turnover
Clinical Practice/Patient Care
- Collaborates with the Nurse Executive to establish nursing
care standards and evaluates staff compliance.
- Identifies research protocols effecting the patient
population served and keeps nursing staff informed.
- Facilitates the effective provision of support services
essential to patient care.
- Maintains a safe and caring environment for patients that is
conducive to positive health teaching, and maintenance; patient and family
expectations of care; develops mechanism to assess same.
- Develops unit goals and objectives to support the
institutional values and goals, with input from staff.
- Recognizes the need for patient care to be delivered in a
culturally sensitive manner and role models sensitivity to staff.
- Participates in the overall planning process for the
Responsible for the overall planning process for the unit.
Uses findings from patient satisfaction survey and with
input from the staff, to establish unit based customer services agenda.
- Uses findings from staff satisfaction survey and with input
from the staff, to establish a unit based recruitment and retention agenda.
- Develops an effective plan for delivery of nursing care
within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Responds to patient and family concerns or complaints with
sensitivity and compassion in a timely fashion.
- Conducts monthly meetings with the staff to address
equipment, scheduling, goals and objectives,
performance metrics and improvement activities, and any staff concerns.
- Hires, educates and evaluates
- Works with Human Resources to counsel,
discipline and terminate staff as needed.
- Educates staff in new and existing
department procedures and systems
(e.g. information systems, fiscal responsibility, etc).
- Makes recommendations and provides opportunities for growth
and development of personnel and arranges for appropriate education and
training. Is able to identify at least
one potential successor to the Nurse Manager role
- Creates and maintains a supportive working environment for all
staff, and students.
- Demonstrates self-development and keeps current on a variety
of clinical management and health care topics.
- Completes the CLI Core Management Series and appropriate
- Responds in a timely fashion to staff
concerns and functions proactively to
- Establishes unit metrics and goals to
measure effectiveness of retention
- Creates and maintains an atmosphere of respect and courtesy
toward patients, staff and colleagues.
- Employs learning organization
principles and techniques in all aspects of
- Promotes a level of professionalism on the unit. Motivates
academic pursuit and continuing education on
the part of the staff by establishing and meeting service based
professional certification goals.
- Promotes empowerment of the staff by
utilizing collaborative approaches and
encouraging new ideas.
- Participates as a member of the healthcare team and various
interdisciplinary committees to improve patient care and meet patient needs.
Promotes collegial relationships based
on mutual respect and support.
Performs related duties, as required.
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, required. Master's Degree, preferred.
Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
Minimum of three (3) years nursing experience including previous supervisory experience, required.
Demonstrated leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, required
- Northwell Health Jobs