Utica College Counselor/Tutorial Coordinator in Utica, New York
Posting Number 2016-00645FS
Position Type Full Time
Hours/Schedule Standard Utica College business hours: 8:30am -5:00pm Hours may vary based on operational needs.
Campus Main Campus, Utica NY
Date Position Available 10/08/2018
Position Summary Information
The Counselor position is a twelve-month contracted full-time professional staff member in Opportunity Programs and the Division of Student Life and Enrollment Management. This office manages the College’s HEOP (Higher Education Opportunity Program) and CSTEP (College Science and Technology Entry Program). The person in this position will work with students in both of these programs. The Counselor is responsible for counseling students, coordinating student development programs, counseling and academic advising for program students, as well as coordinating tutoring for Opportunity Program students. Through personal contact and coordination with other faculty and staff, the Counselor assists students in attaining their educational goals.
Location Type Location Bound/Ground Required
Review begin date: 11/05/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Applicant Documents Instructions
All positions at Utica College support the College’s mission and values in part by being active members of an inclusive environment. Please describe in your diversity statement how you would see yourself incorporating this into this role.
In line with the College’s Affirmative Action Policy, there is no requirement or expectation that a candidate disclose their identity or membership in any protected class or group, either in the diversity statement or in other application documents submitted to the search committee. For additional information on what to provide in your diversity statement please reference the diversity statement guide at the following link: https://www.utica.edu/hr/media/DiversityStatementGuide.pdf
• Provide individual and group counseling for students concerning educational, career, and personal issues related to personal, academic, financial aid, and career concerns.
• Primary personal counseling support for Opportunity Program Students. Provide counseling referrals as appropriate. Actively participate in all counseling case conferences.
• Coordinate tutoring for Opportunity Programs students including: fielding requests for tutors; working with the director of tutorial services to place students with existing tutors; hire, train, and supervise tutors; work with student employment to ensure tutor payroll is processed in a timely fashion.
• Develop programs and activities geared to addressing developmental needs of program students. Work collaboratively with other staff members. Develop and facilitate special programs, workshops, and explore ways to address the personal and academic needs of program students.
• Maintain student counseling logs and contact record.
• Collect and report data necessary to assess effectiveness of counseling interactions as well as student programs.
• Maintain an on-going dialog with the faculty, in support of the student development programs.
• Attend staff meetings within the Opportunity Programs office and other department meetings as requested.
• Provide direction to staff and students in communicating, interpreting and administering College policies and procedures.
• Maintain confidentiality of student records.
• Assist in the development and implementation of the objectives and the goals of the Division.
• Attend Utica College functions, including convocation and commencement and be supportive of College-sponsored events and programs.
• Project a positive attitude toward the position, the department, and the College. Complete all other duties as assigned by the Director of Opportunity Programs.
• Takes an active role in the development of the department’s strategic and operational plans as required by department leadership. Works closely with department supervisor to develop and implement operational goals that support departmental success.
• Responsible for working with supervisor and other team members to achieve successful results on all established individual and departmental goals and key performance indicators.
• May perform other related duties as assigned.
• Must maintain a clean driving record as defined by College insurance carrier guidelines. Motor vehicle record will be monitored regularly using NYS License Event Notification Service or License Monitor, Inc. for out of state licenses.
• Will be required to attend van (11 passenger) training annually.
Supervises HEOP tutors, Peer Tutor Mentors, Workstudy Students
Education & Experience Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in student personnel, counseling, or related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
• Ability to initiate and implement student developmental programs.
• Prior experience in providing counseling support services to “high- risk” students preferred.
• Proficiency in Spanish desirable but not required.
• A strong commitment to diversity and work continually to enhance diversity of our students, faculty, and staff.
• Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
• Ability to communicate effectively with UC students, staff, and faculty.
• Demonstrated ability and commitment to work with ‘at-risk’ students and achieve measurable success outcomes.
• Commitment to quality programs and experience with data-driven program evaluation.
• Multi-tasking and prioritizing
• Creative problem solving
• Evidence of strong organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
• Strong work ethic and ability to work with a team of professionals.
• Must be able to commit to working during the Opportunity Programs Summer Institute, which covers the month of July and involves some weekend hours.
Utica College is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, age, domestic violence victim status, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in student personnel, counseling, or other related field?
Please describe your prior experience in providing counseling support services to “high- risk” students.
(Open Ended Question)
Resume / Curriculum Vitae