Five Star Bank Senior Internal Auditor in Warsaw, New York
Purpose: The Senior Internal Auditor is responsible for conducting and reporting on scheduled audits, Sarbanes - Oxley Section (SOX) 404 key control testing, and departmental projects. Assignments range throughout varying areas of the Company, including audits technical in nature, information technology, highly regulated (consumer compliance), fee based business, complex bank products or of non-bank subsidiaries. The Senior Internal Auditor acts as a mentor to others within audit areas of proficiency.
Scope and Direction:
Area of Responsibility: Internal Audit
Degree of Supervision Received (Minimal, Moderate or Extensive): Minimal
From (Title): Audit Supervisor / Audit Manager
Degree of Supervision Given (None, Minimal, Moderate or Extensive): None
Essential Functions: The major duties of the job that constitute the fundamental tasks and or responsibilities of the position. Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
1. By developing system queries of data, utilizing and interpreting various audit, accounting and regulatory compliance reference materials and resources, and reviewing prior audit issues, develops the scope of assigned internal audits and SOX 404 testing, selects and develops appropriate audit procedures for the work programs to achieve audit objectives within hours budgeted. Discusses and reviews work programs with department supervisory staff and/or others assigned to the audit prior to commencing test work in order to maintain consistent, effective audit coverage. Recommends changes and improvements to established work programs and audit testing approaches as appropriate.
2. Evaluates the design and operating effectiveness of the system of internal controls, adherence to established policies and procedures, and regulatory guidance and conducts test work as outlined in the audit work program. Utilizes judgment as to expansion of scope, further test work needed based on trends or exceptions identified. Prepares work paper documentation via software applications to support test work performed and conclusions reached. Explains, clarifies or corrects documentation to clear any review notes generated by the department supervisory staff or audit lead personnel’s review of the work papers, conclusions and recommendations.
3. Provides information and supporting documentation for all issues uncovered as a result of the audit to prepare the preliminary exit sheets, which detail the level of risk, and proposed solutions to correct the existing issue and to prevent future occurrences. Leads exit meetings with management and other Internal Audit department supervisory staff to discuss proposed recommendations to come to agreeable solutions. Prepares written audit reports to summarize the audit scope, control findings, recommendations and management commitments.
4. Develops and performs audits of technical nature, information technology, highly regulated, non-bank areas or of new products or systems as assigned. Performs research and interprets the area’s regulatory or operational requirements. Maintains an awareness of requirements and changes within those assigned areas. Trains Audit staff to complete audits of mentioned areas.
5. Assists in mentoring and training audit staff.
6. Is a contributing member of project teams as assigned. Provides consulting services to management in developing appropriate internal controls for new products and/or processes as well as enhancements to existing products and/or processes.
7. This job description is not exhaustive. The Senior Internal Auditor may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Prior Experience:
Required: - Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Years: 5+ Type: Internal audit or public accounting experience
Required: - Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Years: 7+ Type: Internal audit or public accounting experience
Preferred: - Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Years: 5+ Type: Audit experience in the Financial Services industry
Licenses or Accreditation:
Required: One or more of the following:
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
• Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
• Certified Bank Auditor (CBA)
• Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA)
• Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
• Certified Community Bank Internal Auditor (CCBIA)
Preferred: Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA) or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
1. Able to effectively coach, mentor and develop staff in areas of expertise.
2. Self-starter and able to work independently
3. High level of attention to detail with the ability to follow detailed procedures and ensure accuracy
4. Ability to positively interface and work well with all levels of staff and management (auditees and own department)
5. Possess a high level of understanding of audit theory and ability to develop strong industry knowledge of bank and fee based products, services, policies and procedures
6. Intermediate level with all Microsoft Office applications including the ability to learn new and existing banking software
7. Able to handle company and client information and sensitive matters professionally and confidentially
8. Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet established deadlines
9. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
1. Able to regularly sit for prolonged periods of time
2. Extensive computer usage is required
3. Occasional travel within bank footprint
Note: At a later stage in the application process, applicants may be required to provide information about their criminal conviction history, if any, and to authorize the procurement of a consumer report that will contain, among other things, information about criminal conviction history. Except as required by applicable law, past criminal convictions will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment, and Five Star Bank will only consider such history in accordance with applicable law. Please be advised, however, that federal law prohibits Five Star Bank from employing “any person who has been convicted of any criminal offense involving dishonesty or a breach of trust or money laundering, or has agreed to enter into a pretrial diversion or similar program in connection with a prosecution for such offense” unless the FDIC has provided prior written consent.
Five Star Bank and affiliate companies are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. We recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles and ensure that all other personnel actions are administered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. Five Star Bank and affiliate companies are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to employees and applicants with disabilities to the full extent required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the ADA, you are encouraged to contact us at (585) 786-4344, (585) 498 - 7565 or (585) 786-1417.