Army Installation Management Command Small Engine Mechanic NA-10 in West Point, New York
The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is for U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizens residing within 30 miles of West Point, NY. (Military Spouse Preference (MSP) and Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.)
This position is located with the Army Community Recreation Division at West Point's Outdoor Recreation Program.
Learn more about this agency
- Troubleshoots, repairs and maintains a full range of recreational vehicles and equipment, such as but not limited to: watercrafts, ATV's, snowmobiles, tractors, lawnmowers, golf carts, etc.
- Diagnoses malfunctions, determines needed or required repairs, tests small gasoline and diesel engines including electrical systems, geared units, inboard and outboard gas, diesel and stern drive motors and components.
- When required, makes necessary repairs to defects in fiberglass boat hulls and decks. Examines parts for defects. Replaces or repairs broken or deteriorated marine hardware, etc.
- Performs maintenance on transmissions, differentials, brakes, starters, generators, radiators, regulators, and paint and bodywork on assigned recreational vehicles. May order/purchase items and perform inventory tasks.
- Determines supplies and parts needed for motor repairs. May maintain maintenance records on all equipment repaired. Based on records, determines bench stock required and maintenance schedules. Maintains tool shop/repair parts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- #### Job family (Series)
8610 Small Engine Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position
- A one year probationary period may be required
- Satisfactorily complete an employment verification (E-Verify) check
- Completed and signed DA Form 3433 is required prior to entrance on duty
- A valid Driver's License is required.
- A Medical Examination is required.
- Physical effort includes bending, reaching, stretching, crouching, performing strenuous work standing or sitting; lifting and carrying items weighing up to 40-50 lbs; pushing, pulling, turning and positioning parts, assemblies, equipment and tools.
- Must be available to accept varying and/or rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Work experience diagnosing malfunctions, determining needed repairs, repairing, and testing small gasoline and diesel engines such as those found on watercrafts, ATV's snowmobiles, tractors, lawnmowers, golf carts, etc.
- Work experience performing maintenance on transmissions, differentials, brakes, starters, generators, radiators, regulators, and paint and bodywork of recreational vehicles. This experience must be reflected on your resume to be considered eligible for this position.
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE:
Must have a thorough knowledge of the makeup, operation, installation and repair of a variety of gas and diesel engines and associated components. Skill to troubleshoot engines isolates problems, and correct malfunctions. Ability to test and troubleshoot components and systems equipment defects for inboard and outboard engines. Ability to interpret and apply manufacturer's repair manuals and technical specifications, schematics, diagnostic codes and safety manuals of assigned recreational equipment. Have a working knowledge of the purpose and properties of fiberglass materials including the handling techniques and tools required to install and apply it. They must have the ability to determine how far major components should be torn down, what parts and mechanisms can be reworked and refitted or should be replaced with new parts, and the type and extent of adjustment and alignment required. Incumbent must have ability to use the common and special tools and test equipment of the automotive mechanic trade, and must have technical expertise and sufficient skills to determine extent of necessary boat repairs.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies: knowledge, skills, abilities, additional screening criteria and other characteristics.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Manual Application: If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application package using a manual application method. Please contact the NAF Human Resources Office or representative listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 3:00 PM on the closing date of the announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner. If applying manually, please bring your application package to the West Point NAF Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC) located at: 626 Swift Road West Point, New York 10996 Monday thru Friday (not open on Federal Holidays) between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and NO LATER THAN 3:00 p.m. on the closing date of the announcement. Please note, that West Point has a restricted access policy and any person who chooses to personally deliver an application to the CPAC should bring along at least one photo identification and report to the West Point Visitor Center at least 30 minutes prior to attempting to visit the CPAC Neglecting to respond to the job related questions will result in an ineligible rating.
- Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs are not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (Click hereto view kit or copy this URL: https://publicfileshare.chra.army.mil/index.php/s/uIDfgOMr6PWHHGS/download?path=/&files;=NAF%20Applicant%20Information%20Kit.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF Preference - Involuntarily Separated From the Military
- NAF Preference - Spouse Employment Preference (SEP)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Spouse/Widow/Parent of Veteran (OAV)
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
Optional: Job Application (DA Form 3433) will be accepted in place of a Resume.
The below items are accepted and may be needed to support a qualification and/or a claimed priority/preference:
- Cover Letter
- DA 3433, DA 3434, Permanent Change of Station Orders with Marriage Certificate
Review our benefits
- How to Apply
How to Apply
You may submit your application package using one of the two methods identified below:
- Electronically (preferred) at https://www.usajobs.gov/ and search for Vacancy Identification Number (VIN). Announcement closes at 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the closing date listed on this announcement.
- Manually: Please refer to the "Additional Information" section of this announcement for instructions.
Agency contact information
West Point NAF Human Resources Office
BR-NAF-W6BMAA US ARMY GARRISON WEST POINT DO NOT MAIL West Point, NY 10996 US
Learn more about this agency
Your resume will be reviewed to verify that qualification requirements have been met. We appreciate your interest in this position!
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/521375700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 01/11/2019 to 02/11/2019
Pay scale & grade: NA 10
Salary: $19.17 to $22.44 per hour Most individuals will be brought in at the Step 1 rate of pay which is $19.17 per hour. NAF pay setting rules apply.
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time